My love of travel is steadfast. I enjoy looking at the world map and planning my next adventure. In my horizons are trips to Berlin, Nova Scotia, and South Africa; I'm toying with the ideas of Barcelona or Malaysia for June's travel.
Many of you have inquired how I'm able to finance my adventures and my simple answer is budget and save. Prior to
telling all of my business online blogging and living abroad, I was an avid traveler but only shared the experiences with family and friends. My favorite destination when I was stateside was Cancun, Mexico. I can't tell you the number of times I've been to Cancun because it's several. It's a cost friendly and short flight which is why I love it even more. I've also been to Belize, Honduras, Haiti, Bahamas, Peru, Panama, Costa Rica, a few other Caribbean locales, as well as a 30+ US States. The airport is my friend and the plane is my lover.
Reginia's Travel Tips
- I cut out the middle man; the travel agent. I haven't used a travel agent since I booked a cruise in 2004. With discount travel sites, I haven't felt the need.
- Discount travel sites. I primarily use one travel site for booking the flight and hotel together because it's usually cheaper. If not, I'll book the flight on one site and use another for the hotel. I'd love to name the sites but free advertising... no ma'am.
- Travel in the off season; saves hundreds of dollars.
- Buy the basic package and inquire about an upgrade upon arrival. If the hotel or flight isn't full, the request is almost always honored for FREE.
- There's a rumor about booking trips on Tuesdays because it's deeply discounted, it's true sometimes.
- Though I love and prefer direct flights, be flexible for 1 or 2 stops because it saves a few hundred dollars as well.
- Mid-day or early evening flights are usually cheaper.
- Leave mid-week and return on a non-weekend day; saves hundreds of dollars.
- Travel with a friend if possible, saves on the hotel.
- Some of my travel sisters opt for lower star hotels or hostels. I don't do either but they save several hundred dollars by doing so.
- If you live in a larger city, fly out of an international airport versus a national or regional; difference of several hundred dollars. Also, some airports in neighboring cities may be cheaper. (i.e. it's cheaper for me to fly out of Dubai versus Abu Dhabi but Dubai Airport is quite the circus)
- Have a separate account or specific holding for travel funds. Know your limited and add extra change to the account weekly. Change adds quickly.
So tell me, what's your next destination?
Tags: "Expedia", "travel" "bookings.com" "travel discounts" "travel on a budget" "travel tuesday" "Abu Dhabi Travelers"