"Consider the source"
I'm sure this is a phrase that you've heard a few times in your lifetime; I know I have and it's ringing particularly true right now.
This past week has been more than an eye-opener for me.
As I've said about 50-11 so far, I've moved to Abu Dhabi. I had great expectations for the experience but so far it's been a bit of a disappointment. Considering that Abu Dhabi is the wealthiest city in the world, I expected greater hospitality, horns of fanfare, and the complete red carpet treatment. However, the realty of it all is that those variables are for Nationals and all others are considered "the help" of sorts.
Upon arrival, all of the new hires are in hotels. The hotels are nice but not 5 star as indicated by those who've gone through this process before...thus my title, "Consider the source". When I arrived, I expected US 5 star NOT international 5 star. If you've traveled, you know there's a huge difference. This hotel is comparable to an upgraded Sheraton or Marriott..maybe. Again it's nice, but it's not my idea or experience of five star.
Secondly, everyone's reasons for trying international teaching and education are different. For me, I simply wanted to try something else. In the US, I am a home owner, gainfully employed, and had a comfortable lifestyle. I wasn't running away from bad relationships or underemployment which is probably another reason I'm quite disappointed in the series of events here versus what others are experiencing.
Many that I've chatted with here are in complete awe of things. They are impressed with things that I consider standard or normal. I'm not sure why it irritates that hell out of me, but it does. Perhaps I'm an undercover snob or I'm just irritated by basic acting people. Typically, I don't ramble on this blog or post too many personal things but perhaps you guys can give me an objective opinion on the following;
- I'm here, it's OK but not what I expected.
- I have a job, decent money but I did at home as well.
- The housing accommodations are NOT equal and my housing is just short of shit.
- I've met people that um..well...I wouldn't normally talk to and I crave regular people like my Atlanta girls. (It's A LOT of Atlanta people here but not like my Atlanta girls unless I've yet to meet them.)
- I guess I could stick it out, suck it up, live for the travel, but umm ________
- YES, I'm complaining, frustrated, and need my readers to get their girl on track.
Tags: "teaching in Abu Dhabi", "Abu Dhabi Teachers", "ADEC", "black in Abu Dhabi" "African-Americans in Abu Dhabi", "Afro-Latino in Abu Dhabi".