Unless you've lived in the mountains with no electricity or under a rock with mold, you know that Facebook is the leading social media network of the present. It is a platform for connecting with former classmates, co-workers, and distant family members. It is also a medium for appreciating TV shows, companies and entertainment. Facebook (FB) has millions of members which gives one ample opportunity to reconnect with the past. However, FB can give rise to unresolved tiffs, disagreements, High School (HS) rivals or a host of
hotmessness shenanigans. If you adhere to the following, your FB experience should be drama free and quite enjoyable.
- FB is a social media platform. Therefore, members are going to put their best foot or false foot forward. Therefore, only believe a fourth of what you read and see.
- Some people need to stay in the land of FB. If he or she were wild,
hoes/trampsuncooth, and tacky in HS, more than likely they are now. Yes people change, BUT very few divert from those old behaviors. Beware of this person.
- Beware of the FB Pimp.
Ho.comThe FB Pimp is the guy who cruises through all of the pages of his FB friends. More than likely he was that popular jock in HS and "the man" but now he's average to loser status. You can identify the FB Pimp by his high number of friends which are primarily women. Secondly, he typically posts messages of inspiration and spirituality all while inboxing each and every woman with "Hey Beautiful" and his Cricket/Metrocell number. This dude's goal is to get laid and if it's not yours, keep it moving.
- Have minimal expectations for the meeting or conversations if you choose to chat or meet offline. Remember Rule 1, FB folks put their best or false foot forward so when the meeting occurs, um, it just might not be what you expect.
- If you decide to meet anyone offline, always meet in a public place especially if the two of you haven't connected in many years. Believe it or not, some former classmates have untreated mental illnesses or have ulterior motives.
- Ideal candidates for FB meetups are former classmates who were the middle of the road folks. These people weren't excessively popular nor were they in the geek/nerd/undesirable crowd. These people are usually very successful, well grounded, and more apt to show you a good time.
- Possible FB meetups...the geeks/nerds. This one is tricky. Many times people who fall into this category have issues with being socially awkward. If they have grown out of this and not off the deep end, these can be good meetups too.
All and all, FB is good for conversations online, sharing photos, small talk, and watching TV shows together. Meetups can be fun and successful if not, file it under mess.com.
With light and love,